Last week, I was speaking to a group about small business marketing and touched on the topic of what makes a good small business website. Whether you are DIYing or hiring a website expert, make sure you’re hitting these four key points to small business website success. Continue reading “Four Keys to Creating a Great Small Business Website”
Last month, we launched an exciting project we’ve been working on for a few months. Office Gallery is a leading provider of office furniture and design services in MA and RI. We were so pleased when we were chosen to redesign their website. Not only was there some great space for growth and creativity, but they’re also a joy to work with. Continue reading “Office Gallery’s New Site Hits a Home Run”
The last week of August, SEO consultants everywhere were scrambling: Google had just released one of its “quality updates” into the wild and our alarm bells were going off. A quality update is when Google reprograms its search engine to try to offer better search results to users.
Sounds great, right? Overall, it is! Better quality search rankings mean users (including yourself!) find what they are looking for more often.
But as a business owner, it might mean that your site’s rankings and search traffic disappeared overnight. Why? Because Google’s “secret sauce” is just that – secret – and when they change it, your business can be unintentionally hurt.
So how did you fare in the latest updates? Here are a few things you can do to find out:
- Go into Incognito Mode in your browser and perform a few searches:
- Your business’s name (“Jane’s Cleaning Service”)
- Your business’s products or services (“Boston Cleaning Service,” “House Cleaning,” “Office Cleaners”)
- For each one, look at where your rank is. Are you on the first page? Second page? Below that?
- If you use a service like Google Analytics, look to see if there is a trend in your traffic patterns. Has it increased or decreased lately? Are as many customers seeing it as you’d like?
In our next post, we’ll talk about a few basic steps you can take to improve your Google ranking. In the meantime, if you’d like a professional to take a look, contact us or learn more about our SEO services.
(PS – You can also run a free SEO Audit on your site from here.)